Once the facelift cosmetic surgery procedure is completed, the surgeon and their staff will provide detailed post-op care instructions to the patient. As long as the patient adheres to the instructions, they can expect a smooth and safe recovery. To prepare the patient for the recovery phase, the surgeon will explain various recovery aspects during the initial facelift consultation.
Well-prepared and well-informed patients will usually be more confident and will achieve more sustainable and successful final outcomes in a procedure such as facelift. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Amir Nasir provides facelift to patients in New Haven, Westport, CT, and other areas across the horizon.
Immediate Post-Surgical Phase
The surgeon will wrap the patient’s face and head with a supportive bandage once the facelift plastic surgery procedure is over. Temporary drain tubes will be inserted below the skin in the incision area to prevent fluid build-up under the skin. The surgeon will usually prescribe pain meds for the first week to keep the patient more comfortable.
Following facelift surgery, some amount of bruising, swelling, numbness in the incision sites and skin discoloration is likely to occur. Bathing or showering should be initially avoided until the surgeon allows. The patient should keep their head immobile and in an elevated position in the first few days.
In the first week after facelift surgery, the patient should avoid any vigorous activity, but may perform light activities from the second day. Short walks within the home are encouraged to promote blood flow and prevent clot formation. Drains and sutures will usually get removed at the end of the first week.
During the first week, the patient should:
- Keep the bandages clean and dry, and change them as needed
- Measure and empty drainage regularly as instructed
- Avoid getting the face wet until the surgeon permits
- Apply cold compresses around the eyes in the first two or three days
- Visit the surgeon’s office as scheduled for a follow-up appointment
Dedicated cosmetic surgeon Dr. Nasir receives patients from New Haven, Westport, CT, and surrounding locations in this region for facelift surgery.
Most of the bruising will likely resolve in about two to three weeks, but some amount of swelling may persist for several weeks following facelift. Patients can apply makeup to camouflage the swelling, and return to their work or resume normal activities in about 10 to 14 days.
Some of the restrictions that may have to be followed even when the patient returns to normal lifestyle will include:
- Sleeping with the head in a raised position for the first 14 days
- Avoiding strenuous activities, exercises, and lifting of heavy objects for about three to four weeks
- No use of swimming pool, sauna, or hot tub until cleared by the surgeon
- Refraining from smoking, drinking, or using blood thinners for a certain period of time as advised by the surgeon
- Avoiding the use of certain types of makeup as advised by the surgeon
As the facelift recovery progresses over several weeks and months, the full results will establish more clearly.
Dr. Nasir is a Cosmetic Surgeon in Fairfield County serving the towns of Westport and Fairfield locally as well as surrounding communities. We also serve patients from all over Connecticut, regionally, including many from New York City, as as well as international patients.